Break out the cocktail shaker because we’ve got Cinco de Mayo drinks + spicy jerky pairings to help you turn up the heat and impress all your amigos this Cinco de Mayo.
Still partying social-distance style? Blend up one of these Cinco de Mayo margarita recipes, dive into a bag of spicy beef jerky, and you’ll barely even miss your usual fiesta.
The Spicy Mango Tango
SHU (Scoville Heat Unit): 100,000-350,000 rating
You can handle some heat, but you’re no masochist. Mango Habanero jerky is your jam. Tangy and subtly fruity with an unmistakable kick, it’s basically a Cinco de Mayo party in a bag.
Play up that sweet spice by pairing it with this mango margarita from food blogger and TexMex aficionado Serene Herrera. Want to make that a spicy mango margarita? After blending, add a couple of muddled habanero pepper slices and stir in for a subtle, spicy kick. Salud!
FROZEN MANGO MARGARITA
- 1 cup ice
- ½ cup frozen mango
- 1½ oz tequila
- ½ oz triple sec, or other orange liqueur
- 2 tbsp agave
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- Add the ice and frozen mango to the blender.
- Add in the tequila, triple sec, agave and lime juice. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Using a lime wedge go around the rim of the cups, dip into margarita salt or sugar.
- Pour the drink, garnish with lime wedge if desired and enjoy!
The Sweet Chipotle Chaser
SHU: 5,000-10,000 rating
Feeling bold? Follow the burn of a sip of smoky mezcal with the sweet smolder of Honey Chipotle Turkey Jerky.
Liven up the classic lime + salt chaser by subbing the salt for a bite of jerky. It’s got enough saltiness to do the job with a little sweet spice to keep things interesting. And because shots are no fun alone, get some friends in on the challenge via Facetime or Zoom.
If your shot days are behind you (don’t worry — us too), go for this honey lime margarita instead. A classic on-the-rocks marg that subs honey for agave, it’ll play up the honey notes in the jerky.
HONEY LIME MARGARITA
- 1/2 cup tequila silver (or blanco)
- 4 tablespoons (about two limes) freshly squeezed Lime Juice, strained
- 2-3 tablespoons honey (or Agave if that's your jam)
- A couple handfuls of ice
- Additional lime wedges, for rubbing on the rim and for garnish
- kosher salt
- Rub a lime wedge along the rim of two small glasses and then dip them into a small plate with kosher salt. Fill with ice.
- In a cocktail shaker combine; tequila, lime juice, honey and ice. Secure the lid and shake until most of the ice is gone. Be sure to shake well enough so the honey mixes itself into the drink.
- Pour into prepared glasses.
The Caliente Crushed Red Pepper
SHU: 30,000-50,000 rating
Is it weird to call beef jerky sexy? Probably. But if any jerky is sexy, it’s the Crushed Red Pepper. The heat from this one can spice up even a solo Cinco de Mayo shindig – but not in a “ridiculously spicy just to flex” way in a “spicy because it’s actually delicious” way.
Still want to turn up the heat? (You little thrillseeker. We like you.) Mix up this spicy margarita made with muddled red peppers to keep the burn going.
MUDDLED RED PEPPER MARGARITA
- 3 slices of muddled red peppers
- 2 parts Herradura Tequila
- 3/4 parts Cointreau
- 1/2 parts lime juice
- 1/2 parts simple syrup
- pinch of cilantro
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker and then pour into a glass with ice.
- Garnish with a slice of red pepper.
The Sweet Jalapeño Simmer
SHU: 2,500-5,000 rating
Our Jalapeño jerky definitely has a sweet side, but don’t let that fool you. It’s straight fire —pun intended. The classic sweet spice of this jerky makes it the perfect Cinco de Mayo snack.
For this one, we recommend cooling things off with a simple frozen margarita, the classic choice for a Cinco de Mayo drink. Keeping it low-carb? Try your hand at a keto simple syrup for your margs, and opt for our sugar-free jalapeño beef sticks.
CLASSIC FROZEN MARGARITA
- 6 oz. tequila (3/4 cup)
- 4 oz. triple sec (1/2 cup)
- 6 oz. fresh lime juice (3/4 cup)d
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 4 cups ice
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth. Option to add more agave nectar as desired.
If tequila’s not your thing, celebrate with our jerky and beer pairings instead OR turn any of the above into a delicious mocktail, just take out the tequila! Either way, try out all of our spicy (and not-so-spicy) beef jerky flavors by ordering straight from our site or our Amazon page. May your Cinco de Mayo be filled with great drinks, plenty of spice, and lots of grass-fed beef jerky. Also, please indulge responsibly. ;)